Well friends, it has come to this. 7 weeks, 5 countries, a gaggle of new friends, and a whole bunch of wine later and I have officially left Freiburg and am at the airport. Well, specifically I'm at the hostel I'm sleeping in before I fly home tomorrow. With my one roommate. Who is a guy from Paris. Who has not been wearing any pants for the last 3 hours. Awkward.
But really, this whole experience has been amazing, and I cannot believe it is coming to an end. Even now that I am packed and out of my dorm, it still hasn't registered to me that tomorrow night I'll be sleeping in my own bed in my own house.
One of my friends asked me the other night if I was excited to go home. The answer is yes. I really miss my family, and am really ready to see them. I miss my friends and my new house in Fort Collins. I miss the dry Colorado air and I miss my dog. And I really miss going to the grocery store and understanding what it is that I am purchasing. But mostly, I really, really, really miss Mexican food.
But, even though I am excited to go home, I am just as sad that I am leaving here.
I've been on a few other adventures in the last few years- living in the Blue Ridge Mountains in North Carolina, going to USC, studying in Europe two summers ago, living at Disney for 8 months, and transferring to CSU- and each of those experiences really changed me in a profound way. In North Carolina I learned independence and how to live on my own. At USC I learned how to stand up for myself and how to stay strong when you want to give up. In Europe I learned the importance of having an open mind, and the excitement that comes along with it. In Disney I learned how to balance professionalism with still being a kid at heart sometimes. And at CSU I've learned how much I really value and appreciate the people in my life who are closest to me.
So then I tried to think of what I've learned here. I tried to pinpoint how this journey had changed me in some drastic way that all of my other adventures have. And after thinking and thinking and thinking, I realized that maybe it hasn't. Maybe I haven't been drastically changed, and I guess I didn't experience an enlightening event that has made me a new person.
But that's okay. Because even though this trip didn't drastically change me, it has made me grow. I have taken all the characteristics and values that I've gained through my previous adventures, and I have strengthened them by leaps and bounds. I've learned to be independent in a place that is totally foreign to me. I've learned that being a good person is way more fun than being a mean one. I learned to open my mind even wider than I thought I could. I've learned to work hard and play hard too. And I've learned that friends and family are even more important than I could ever believe. And for me, at this point in my life, growing on those life lessons is more than I could wish for.
I'm gonna keep this post short, partly because I feel like I've said all I need to, but mostly because I need to pretend to be asleep now since my French roommate is once again wandering around the room without pants and I am concerned.
But before I put my eye-mask on and make fake snoring noises, I want to just take a minute and say thank you to my parents. Especially over the last few years, I have come
to realize that the value of my family is worth more than I will ever be able
to comprehend. They are more important to me than I could ever explain in
words. One thing that I particularly appreciate from my family is the
endless amount of support that they have for me. I have lived somewhat of a
crazy life over the last three years, and I know countless families that would have disapproved of this lifestyle that I've been living. My family, however, has responded to
each of my new crazy ideas with a “go for it!” and a “we’re proud of you”, and I cannot even explain how amazing that is. One time my mom even told me (and this is a direct quote) that " 'what the hell?' is usually the right answer- except when it comes to teen pregnancy and hard drugs". But,
even though I have lived a bit of a nomadic lifestyle lately, we have grown
closer than imaginable, and I’ve realized that not only do I love my family
beyond words, but I really, really like them too, and I think that I am incredibly lucky for that. I hope they know how much I appreciate them supporting me on this adventure to Germany, both emotionally, and financially. Next time though, I'm taking them with me.
To all my readers- I really appreciate you taking the time to look into my life. I really love being able to share all these crazy moments with you all, and I hope you've enjoyed it at least a little bit too. I like this whole Blog thing, so I think I'll try to continue with it every once in a while once I'm back in the states.
Again, thank you to everyone, and I'll see you back in the US!
Until Next Time,
Meggie
ciao!
ReplyDeletetut mir leid dass wir nicht hier getroffen haben, aber du hast genug spass gehabt!